Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Alpaca

March came in like a lion and left like a lion! Today is kind of yucky- all grey and rainy, with lots of high winds, but it is warmer! There is hope! There is also a huge "lake" in my side yard since the ground is frozen but the snow is melting...

I have been playing with fiber these past few weeks! Just Friday I called a local alpaca farm that I knew about and asked if I could trade handspinning services for fiber. I was able to bring home a first year alpaca blanket (the best bits of the fleece) to spin. It is a brown and white mix and I am carding the colors together. There are about 12 ounces, now that it is washed. I will keep half, then take the other half back to the farm. Hopefully, they will like it! This is from last year's clip, I think they like to send two years worth together when they have it processed into yarn. The fleece is so soft, but it has a lot of second cuts that I have had to pick out!

I just received yesterday some mill end rovings that I ordered. They are fabulous! I guess I will be dyeing some up tomorrow! Being able to sell some of this stuff gives me more freedom to play with color and to dye a bunch at once! It is so much fun. I hope that my buyers enjoy it as much as I enjoy doing it. I enjoy dyeing the yarn just as much, it just costs more, so I am a little more cautious.

Brenda

No comments:

Knitting Web Ring

Powered by WebRing.