Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I tried to like cross-country skiing...

Saturday was the perfect day to spend some time playing outside. After lunch, my husband asked me if I wanted to go out cross-country skiing with him. I was glad to go, the weather outside was reasonable, we had a fresh coating of snow on top of a layer of ice, and it is nice to do something now and then that doesn't involve the kids! However, the fun ended when my ski went under a branch frozen to the ground and as I was turning, I fell over to the side. Although my knee and ankle followed me to the side, my foot was forced to stay somewhat upright. Which is to say that I hurt my left foot and I couldn't put weight on it. My husband (kindly) went back to the house, got a sled, and pulled me home. Nothing broken, just a small sprain, not a lot of swelling. I have graduated from two crutches to one already, and I can limp across the room with no crutch at all for a limited amount of time (I'm not actually sure if that is good for my foot...).


This of course means that I got a fair amount of knitting done on Saturday! This yarn is a fingering weight sock yarn that I hand painted when I was refining microwave dyeing for a class that I taught. I am knitting "Ocean Toes" socks from Cat Bordhi's newest sock book. I am not sure what I think of them yet. I do think that the color contrasts in my yarn are covering up the texture in the knitting more than I would like. This pattern also requires me to pay careful attention at least every other row. So it will take me a while to finish. I have started the increases after the cuff.
One thing that I found out while waiting to be rescued when I couldn't walk out of the woods, is that my mittens that I finished not long ago are very warm. Even just standing in the cold, my fingers stayed toasty. That was very nice, believe me!

No comments:

Knitting Web Ring

Powered by WebRing.